Who Are The Ballyshaners?
The Ballyshaners is a non-profit, non-sectarian, and non-partisan corporation organized exclusively for charitable and educational purposes. All members of the organization are volunteers and do not receive compensation for their participation. Our goal is to promote and preserve Irish Heritage. One way we do this is by organizing and running the Saint Patrick's Day Parade in Alexandria and the Alexandria Irish Festival.
The Ballyshaners is an all-volunteer organization. Our meetings are monthly from mid-March through December, and weekly January up until Parade Day. There s no fee to join. Members can be as involved as much or as little as their time allows. In addition to its leadership team, members tend to help manage our two fundraisers, or at the Irish Festival. Opportunities include gathering a few items for silent auctions, overseeing auctions, selling raffle tickets at fundraisers, or helping to make the Festival run smoothly. Others help sell ads for the Parade Program or serve as the key contact for dignitaries on Parade Day.
The Ballyshaners have four elected officers.
- Chairman - Kimberley Moore
- Vice Chairman - Joan Baker
- Secretary - John Boseker
- Treasurer - Catherine Moran
- Parade Captain - John Bryk
- Lead Parade Marshal - Joe Kensil
- Parade Program Ad Sales - Patty Theobold and Tasha Pablo
- Publications Graphic Designer - Kimberlee Bryce
Interested in Joining?
There are 2 ways to participate if you are interested:
1. Become a member!
Attend a meeting.
From January until the St. Patrick's Day Parade in March, The Ballyshaners meet once a week. The remainder of the year we meet once a month. Meetings are typically held on Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at rotating locations in Alexandria.
- 1/8/2020 at 7:30 pm - Village Brauhaus, 710 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 1/15/2020 at 7:30 pm - Village Brauhaus, 710 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 1/22/2020 at 7:30 pm - McNamara’s Pub and Restaurant, 567 23rd St. South, Arlington VA
- 1/29/2020 at 7:30 pm - McNamara’s Pub and Restaurant, 567 23rd St. South, Arlington VA
- 2/5/2020 at 7:30 pm - Daniel O’Connell’s Restaurant, 112 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 2/11/2020 at 6:30 pm - TUESDAY, American Legion Post 24, 400 Cameron St. Alexandria 22314 - This is the date when we will go to City Hall for the Proclamation
- 2/19/2020 at 7:30 pm - Daniel O’Connell’s Restaurant, 112 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 2/26/2020 at 7:30 pm - Daniel O’Connell’s Restaurant, 112 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 3/4/2020 at 7:30 pm - Parade Marshals Meeting - Daniel O’Connell’s Restaurant, 112 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 3/6/2020 at 6:00 pm - Grand Marshal Dinner - The Alexandrian, 480 King St., Alexandria, VA
- 3/7/2020 at 9:00 am - Parade Day! Marshals Breakfast - Daniel O’Connell’s Restaurant 112 King St. Alexandria, VA
If you join our mailing list, we will send you an announcement confirming the location of the next meeting. That information is also on Facebook and Twitter.
2. If you have less free time, simply volunteer for an event!
We hold several events every year in addition to the Parade in March and the Festival in August. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. If you are interested in assisting at an event, please contact us and let us know how you would like to participate.
Just fill out the form on our Contact Page. We would love to hear from you.
Learn more about our upcoming Membership Meetings.
Need A Covid Mask?
Use the code "Irish" at KH Giving's website to get a $5 discount. 15% of proceeds from sales using this code will support the Ballyshaners.
Support The Ballyshaners
If you would like to make a donation, please click the button below. Thanks for your interest and generosity.